Bryan Caplan’s new book The Case Against Education, argues against the common arguments the value of school and college. Most people would consider his view pretty radical. He recommends massive cuts to education spending and that many people should not go to college. In this episode of the podcast, I argue that he doesn’t go far enough.
- How Bryan got started thinking and writing about education
- Degrees as a signal
- Credential inflation
- Arguments about the quality of education
- Parents the motivation for college
- Do employers really want conformity?
- Working for free as a signal
- Even though it’s just a signal, should you still go to college?
- Bryan’s upcoming graphic novel on immigration
- The Case Against Education by Bryan Caplan
- Episode 41: Bryan Caplan on Education, Immigration, and Procreation
- Robin Hanson on The Elephant in The Brain
For more background on where we disagree, check out:
- Belief in College has Become Religious
- What do Employers Want is a Stupid Question
- Your College Degree is Worthless
- Want to do Cool Stuff Build a Better Signal